Loss Concealment

From the time of her sinking, attempts by numerous researchers to verify the legendary $3,000,000 American Gold eagle cargo of the REPUBLIC have failed due to the inaccessibility of verifying source documentation and the pursuit of incorrect theory.

[Amateur wireless operator] Earl Freeman of Cottage street, Everett, caught many messages [that were transmitted concerning the collision] Saturday night, but they were fast and confusing. He could not understand the codes used. [Emphasis supplied.]

Boston Herald, January 25, 1909, 3:4.

Vice-President Franklin said last night:
"The company deeply regrets that any lives were lost in the accident to the Republic. It has been our policy to give the public every bit of news that we have received from the disabled vessels. That details are lacking will be readily understood when it is known that 1,800 lives were at stake, and the conservation of human life was the first thought of the commander. There is nothing to conceal and we have not bothered about baggage or cargo, contenting ourselves with trying as best we could to see that every one is safely landed."

New York World, January 25, 1909, 2:8.

Mr. Connolly himself finds various troubles with the officers of the Baltic which resulted in a very much aggravated row before the steamship docked. As an experienced writer on matters of the sea Mr. Connolly was besieged with inquiries from newspapers and periodicals and requests for "stories." The officers of the ship would not allow him to reply to these messages by wireless, saying that in such a time the wireless capacity of the ship must be employed in the ship's business. Mr. Connolly intimated that the reason for this was the desire on the part of the company to suppress details of the disaster except those which the company's officers themselves chose to give out.

Mr. Connolly insisted that there was a reason behind the action of the stewards, and intimated of a plot to discredit in advance anything he might write later about the accident.
[Emphasis supplied.]

New York Sun, January 26, 1909, 3:6, 7.
See also: Boston Herald, January 26, 1909, 1:7.

Officers of the White Star line had by wireless to the Seneca [the Revenue Cutter which was transporting a good number of Republic's crew from the wrecksite] ordered Captain Sealby not to discuss the wreck with anyone until he had appeared at the offices of the steamship company at nine o'clock in the morning to-day.
The Marconi company, which pays Binns'
[the Republic's wireless operator's] salary, sent a representative on board the Seneca off Tompkinsville last night to take Binns off the Seneca. [The Seneca's] Captain Reynolds said Captain Sealby had given orders that his crew be kept intact, and that Binns was one of the crew. The Marconi representative had to content himself with sending a message of congratulations from the company to Binns.
Both Captain Sealby and Captain Reynolds had received many wireless messages while on their way to this port asking them to send wireless descriptions of the wreck. Captain Sealby refused to answer any messages till he had consulted with the officers of his line ...

N. Y. Herald, Jan. 26, 09, 4:1

Capt. Reynolds said the Capt. Sealby had declared that he would not talk about the collision or permit his men to do so until he had seen his agents this morning.

New York Sun, Jan. 26, 09, 2:1.

All the officers and crew of the Republic on board the Seneca were confined to the cabin, and not one of them was allowed to talk. Jack Binns, the Marconi Operator, is also on board the Seneca, but he even could not be seen.

NY Times, Jan. 26, 09, 1:4

Appreciating possibilities of complications at the court of inquiry, the officer [Captain Sealby] declined to say a word apropos of the collision, and would speak only of the last moments before his good ship went down beneath him.

Trenton Evening Times, January 26, 1909, 1:1

[After arrival in New York,] Capt. Sealby, Williams, and Binns, the wireless operator, went to the White Star Line offices. There Capt. Sealby made his official report of the accident. The line would not make it public. There was another mild [celebratory] demonstration at the line office, and it was plain to see that Inman Sealby is still considered a splendid seamen there. Capt. Sealby refused to make any additional statements to the newspapers at the line's office.
"When I get the proper permission to talk," he said, "maybe I will tell you something else. Until that time you must excuse me."

NY Times, Jan. 27, 09, 2:4

[Upon arrival in New York, on his way to the White Star line offices, Jack Binns, Republic's Wireless Operator] blushed when a young man who knew him rushed up, wrung his hand and congratulated him in extravagant terms.
"Why, I didn't do anything," he said. "It was Capt. Sealby."
This was the extent of Binns' public speech on the wreck matter and he was taken in charge by a man connected with the Marconi Wireless Company, who told the operator to tell no one anything. Subsequently Binns was removed from contact with the public that he might devote his time to preparation of his story for sale.

N.Y. Herald, Jan. 27, 09, 4:1.

Capt. Sealby refused to discuss in any way the collision with the Florida. The owners of the White Star Line, he said, were the people who would give out information, if any was given out, about the collision. ...

NY Times, Jan. 27, 09, 2:4

Senator SMITH. Were you the wireless operator at the time of the disaster to the Republic?
Mr. BINNS. I was; yes, sir.
Senator SMITH. Will you state to the committee whether news concerning that disaster was promptly sent out from the Republic immediately following the disaster?
Mr. BINNS. Yes; the news was sent out immediately.
Senator SMITH. And in detail?
Mr. BINNS. Not exactly in detail, but the exact details of the accident, in so far as they referred to the Republic generally.

Testimony of John R. Binns
made to the US Senate Subcommittee of the Committee of Commerce
investigating the Titanic disaster,
commenced April 19, 1912, Day 13.